Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Hometown Globalization

    Looking at my hometown, I have quite a few options for getting myself a nice cup of chai. Coopersburg has only one big supermarket, which is a Giant supermarket. Inside, I can find chai in the tea section either as tea bags or as a concentrate option. I can also go to my local Dunkin Donuts, or an independent coffee shop called 'Jaquelyn's On Main'. My point is, when I look at globalization in my hometown, I see chai. Coopersburg is a small-town in between Quakertown and Allentown, and overwhelmingly white. Chai was not brought to Coopersburg and spread by its native people, but by corporations and businesses seeking to make a profit from a popular product.  

Chai comes from India and its surrounding region. I was first "exposed" to chai as a watered down and ultra sugary version from Dunkin Donuts. You can find chai in any self-respecting chain restaurant with a focus on drinks. From Starbucks to Peet's Coffee (a popular coffee chain store in California), you can find options for chai. I have even bought the spices required so I can make chai at home myself. By looking at the back of these chai products, I can see that they were made/grown in California, India, or even China. Parts of the chai I drink come from all over the world to assemble into one perfect cup. When I ask people about chai or try and order it, I can assume the person I am talking to is familiar with the beverage. I can find recipes online and try more authentic versions or keep with westernized chai recipes. I would call chai a product that has become heavily globalized. 

Other, broader examples of Globalization in Coopersburg come from businesses with a focus on food from certain cultures, products trying to be sold, or in communication with people not from around my hometown. As an example of the latter, my high school organized talks & culture exchanges with two other classes from Pakistan and Iran. We had to arrive extra early, but it was an eye-opening experience. With the internet at our fingertips, concepts, ideas, and products from all around the world can travel easier.

1 comment:

Ethan Freiman said...

I agree with the statement that chai has become heavily globalized across different American towns, especially as I've seen in and across the Lehigh Valley area. It's interesting to see how a traditional Indian drink has made its way into different places like supermarkets, coffee shops, and even chain restaurants like Starbucks and Dunkin. I also relate to the point about globalization through communication. The internet has made it so much easier for us to connect with people from different cultures and learn about their perspectives, truly offering us with unique experiences.